Instagram is putting a greater emphasis on video content, with Reels, their popular TikTok-style video stream. Here’s how to make your own Instagram reel in the app and upload it.
For years, Instagram has been a part of millions of people’s daily lives, serving as a platform for people to share snippets of their lives with friends and family, as well as for celebrities to keep their fans up to date on their activities.
Although the square image feed was the focus for a long time, with the rise of platforms such as TikTok, Instagram has made changes to shift its focus closer to video.
The Reels feature, which closely resembles TikTok’s portrait video feed, is a part of this effort. Some people upload their videos to both platforms, whereas others use Instagram for their Reels.
On the app, here’s how you make your own reel.
Making an Instagram reel is a relatively simple process, and there are plenty of ways to make your content unique to you while editing.
To make an Instagram reel, follow these steps:
- Launch Instagram.
- Tap the plus icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select ‘Reel.’
- Use the record button to create a clip, or use the gallery icon in the bottom left corner to add a clip from your camera roll.
- Tap the music button on the left side to add a song and use the slider to adjust it.
- Using the other icons on the side you can also change the speed, use a timer, or use the ‘Align’ button to match up two clips for smooth transitions. You can try out filters with the ‘Effects’ section above the record button.
- Once you’ve filmed all your clips, hit ‘Preview.’ Here, you can add other effects and filters, stickers, text, and more.
- Tap ‘Next.’
- Write your caption and edit the information relating to your video.
- Click ‘Share’ to post.
Related: How to Download TikTok Video Without Watermark 2021
Some Reels receive millions of likes and views, and there is a large community of people that watch the short movies on a regular basis.