SafeBoda, Uganda’s motorbike-hailing app, has continuously added a series of innovative options to its system over the last few years, aiming to be more than just a mode of transportation for its users. With innovation as one of its fundamental pillars, the ride-hailing service just received a fintech license from the Bank of Uganda, enhancing its ambition of providing even more value to its Ugandan users and drivers.
Safeboda is now more than just a ride-hailing service; it’s also a one-stop store for products and services, a delivery partner for small companies and Posta Uganda, and, most recently, a payment system provider.
So let’s go into these interesting things you can do with the Safeboda app in Uganda today:
1. Send money for FREE
The SafeBoda app allows you to send money for free. Send money to your contacts and other app users for free with the SafeBoda app.
To send money with the SafeBoda app:
- Tap on the Send Money button
- Select the beneficiary from your contact list or enter the phone number
- Enter the amount and confirm the transaction with your SafeBoda Wallet PIN.
2. Buy Airtime, earn a 10% cashback
Easily buy airtime on MTN or Airtel for your mobile phone number and others to instantly earn a 10% cashback, so if you buy airtime worth UGX 10,000, you get back UGX 1,000.
To buy airtime and earn a 10% cashback:
- Open your SafeBoda app and tap on the Buy Airtime button
- Type in the number to buy for or enter it from your contact list
- Select the amount to buy or tap Other to enter it manually
- Confirm the transaction with your SafeBoda Wallet PIN.
3. Pay YAKA, Water, other utilities and get 5% cashback
Even if the feature is currently undergoing final tests, Safeboda has already teased that users will soon pay for home bills (water, electricity, pay-tv like; DStv, GOtv, and Startimes) among others, upon which they get an instant 5% cashback.
4. Order for a motorbike ride
The basic role of the app is getting yourself a safe Boda ride. You can order a ride within the app and pay using cash or cashless means.
From the looks of all these features, it’s now safe to say that the ride-hailing company is headed towards a core fintech space and will definitely be included in the Nigerian version of the app along the way.
5. Make insured package deliveries
SafeBoda and Posta Uganda are collaborating to expand logistics in Uganda. You may deliver your packages using the SafeBoda App. The new premium service insures your packages.
To deliver packages with SafePosta Express:
- Tap on the Deliver Package button
- Add the delivery destination, recipient contact, and package delivery details
- Enter pickup details and instructions
- Make an order or pair with a SafeBoda for the delivery to be made.
6. Pay at Stores, Restaurants, and Bars for Goods and Services
SafeBoda has collaborated with a number of Kampala-area retailers, pubs, and restaurants to accept its payment method.
In Kampala, the app has onboarded a number of companies and hangout spots, including Kenji’s, YoKuku, Thrones, Funz Video, and Wild Coffee, to name a few.